I enjoyed AWP 2011 immensely, despite the inconsistency of the panels. I got to be in on two amazing readings, meet oodles of editors and writers I’ve read and interviewed, purchased subscriptions (I has my HOBART flask!), and network, network, network. This was an incredibly rewarding, enriching experience and I’m going to make AWP a regular thing in my life.
Let’s talk about readings.
Divination in DC was epic. The room was packed, all the authors for this show were on point, and we had the history making moment of [redacted] reading for the first time. The biggest bonuses of the reading came in the form of hanging out with Sean Doyle before and during the reading, mingling and meeting the writers on the bill, finally meeting David Erlewine, Matty Byloos, Daniel Nester, Rion Amilcar Scott. Here’s my set:
Sean’s friend, Ty, was nice enough to take a performance photo of me.
sCORE POtS and Smoke was a little daunting at first because the venue was narrow and cramped, not the worst venue in the world I’ve done a reading in. Then Tara Laskowski of Smokelong Quarterly solved that problem by getting some sound equipment. All the writers on this one brought it hard, incredibly hard, and these were mostly fiction writers reading (except Joseph A. Quintela who killed it with poetry). Everyone owned that room. Here’s what I did (and thanks to Tara for getting my sexy action photo).
Other highlights worth mentioning:
- Literary Death Match DC
- Watching Regie Cabico for the first time in ten years at LDM rock that shit…and then get robbed for his lack of paper
- AWP Bookfair
- Open City Cafe
- Meeting writers from Orlando who have some serious chops (like Ashley Inguanta)
- Having another travel buddy in Alex Ruiz
- Righting a wrong regarding Aubrey Hirsch (check out PANK’s blog in a few days to find out the specifics)
- Meeting Laura S. and Mark C. from Big Lucks
- Meeting the Artifice Magazine crew
- Meeting Matt Seigel, the other half of PANK
There’s so much more, so much more but I can’t spend all night documenting all of the awesome. Know this: if we met, it was a tremendous honor to finally meet you, to have met you, or to see you again. You know who you are.
Time for shameless self promotion
- I’m in the latest Orange Alert podcast, along with Safety Third label mate xTx.
- My story “Drop” is in this week’s edition of 4’33”.
- Purchase a copy of Dodging Traffic from me and I’ll write you an original poem on the spot. If you get it from Ampersand Books, forward me the receipt, along with three words, and I will write you a poem and send it to you.